Vegetable soup is a great favorite of mine, but when following Ketogenic nutrition the ingredients need to be carefully considered to get a proper ratio of healthy fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Try this recipe for a ketogenic coconut vegetable soup.
- 6 green onions – fresh, organic, chopped
- 2 cups green beans – fresh, organic, chopped
- 2 cups celery – fresh, organic, chopped
- 2 cups purple cabbage – fresh, organic, chopped
- 1 can coconut milk – organic, unsweetened
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons MCT oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces xtra firm tufu cubed
- 4 cups spinach – fresh, organic, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds – raw, unsalted
In a large sauce pan with a steamer basket, steam the green beans and cabbage 5 minutes on medium heat. Add celery to steaming green beans and cabbage and steam 5 more minutes.
In a small sauce pan, add MCT oil, 2 tablespoons water, onions, salt, pepper, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and simmer 6 minutes on a low heat.
In an extra large sauce pan, add 4 cups water, coconut milk, steamed vegetables, simmered oil and spices, tofu and spinach. Simmer on low heat 10 minutes. Top with almond slices and serve hot.
Nutritional information per serving
Stay tuned and subscribe to HealthierVibrations.wordpress.com for more healthy ideas and education.
Dr. Christie Smirl is a Doctorate of Ayurvedic Medicine from the American University of Complimentary Medicine, Nurse Practitioner from Loma Linda University, Master of Science, E-RYT Yoga Teacher, Yoga Teacher Trainer YACEP, Reiki Master/Teacher, Tantric Energy Healer and Musician. Visit Dr. Christie Smirl’s website HealthierVibrations.com, connect on social media at the Healthier Vibrations page on Facebook and follow her education site on WordPress.