TRIPHALA – Balancing Formula for Detoxification & Rejuvenation
Triphala is one of the most recommended Ayurvedic formulation and has been used as a daily supplement for over 5,000 years to balance all three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Triphala is translated as “Three Fruits” and is composed of dried and powdered amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki. It is well-known for its gentle cleansing of the digestive system, improving peristalsis and cleansing ama (toxic wastes). When the body has regained balance, Triphala nourishes and rejuvenates tissues, allowing one to age gracefully.
Benefits of Triphala
- Natural internal cleansing and purification
- Nourishes and rejuvenates dhatus (tissues)
- Increases energy
- Improves complexion
- Detoxifies gastrointestinal system
- Supports healthy bowel movements
- Helps maintain healthy weight
- Antioxidant for anti-aging
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Removes excessive Pitta (fire element)
- Reduces internal heat and inflammation
- Supports proper liver function
- Supports proper gallbladder function
- Normalizes cholesterol levels
- Clears skin acne and rashes
- Nourishes the immune system
- Enhances eye health
- Restores normal Pitta functioning
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica)
- Removes excess Kapha (earth/water element)
- Clears congestion from the respiratory system
- Reduces clogged kapha from all body systems
- Aides in weight loss if due to Kapha
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Clears excessive Vata (air/wind element)
- Removes toxins from the body
- Balances digestion and absorption
Triphala can be taken in tea, extract or capsule form as directed by your Ayurvedic doctor. The dose depends on your prakruti (body constitution) and vikruti (current balance).
Side Effects: Occasionally people will experience an initial worsening of symptoms as the toxins surface to be eliminated. With adequate warm fluids and recommended diet, this passes quickly.
Contraindication: diarrhea, dysentery, pregnancy.
Visit HealthierVibrations.com for more healthy living education, online classes and certifications.
Dr. Christie Smirl has over 27 years of medical experience. She completed a Doctorate of Ayurvedic Medicine from American University of Complimentary Medicine as well as Nurse Practitioner and Master of Science from Loma Linda University. Dr. Christie is also an E-RYT 500 Yoga Teacher Trainer YACEP, Reiki Master/Teacher, Tantric Energy Healer and Musician.