Ayurveda understands that the mind can be rejuvenated and supported by natural herbs that have medhya (mind) actions. Brahmi has been used since ancient times to support proper brain function. The leaves enhance memory, concentration and sattva – mental harmony and spiritual well being. Brahmi has many other medical uses.
Ayurvedic Properties of Brahmi
- Rasa (taste): tikta (bitter), kashaya (astringent)
- Guna (quality): laghu (light)
- Veerya (potency): Sheeta (cold)
Ayurvedic Therapeutic Uses
- Reduces vata in the mind
- Reduces pitta in the mind and body
- Supports healthy brain and nervous system function
- Enhances memory, intelligence and concentration
- Reduces mood disorders, seizures, addictions, anxiety, restlessness and insomnia
- Promotes healthy skin and hair
- Reduces fever
- Treatment of cough, cold and hoarseness
WebMD lists the following medical benefits for taking brahmi.
- Anxiety, nervousness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Epilepsy (seizures)
- Mental illness
- Joint pain (rheumatism)
- Sexual problems
- Fluid retention
To determine if brahmi is right for you, consult an Ayurvedic specialist.
Dr. Christie Smirl has over 25 years of medical experience. She completed a Doctorate of Ayurvedic Medicine from American University of Complimentary Medicine as well as Nurse Practitioner and Master of Science from Loma Linda University. Dr. Christie is also an E-RYT 500 Yoga Teacher Trainer YACEP, Reiki Master/Teacher, Tantric Energy Healer and Musician.
Follow Dr. Christie Smirl by connecting with her below, just click the connection icons.